Tuesday, March 16, 2010

I Own My Dreams

Day 331: “If success is not on your own terms, if it looks good to the world but does not feel good to your soul, it is not success as all.” – Anna Quindlen. You will have to overcome some naysayers to achieve your dreams and realize that everyone who you think is for you is not. If your dream is really your dream (and I own mine) it may seem inconceivable to more than a few people.

While tackling research today to present some marketing opportunities to a client I was in conversation with some colleagues. Several of them didn't know I had left my last position as Vice-President of Development & Marketing to pursue my business. When I shared what I was doing their response could have sent me into doubt and scrambling for a head hunter. Believe me when I tell you I’m operating in reality, but I refuse to put any boundaries on what God will do through me.

I’ve been reading off and on John Maxwell’s book “Put your Dreams to the Test” and one of his chapter’s test questions is on ownership of your dreams. It asked the following questions; 1. What would I do if I had no limitations. 2. What would I do if I had only five years to live. 3. What would I do if I had unlimited resources 4 What would I do if I could not fail. These will serve as my challenge questions for the week.

Motivational Speaker Les Brown, has provided me with some great insght into living your best life. However, I stopped listening to him for awhile because he told Gladys Knight while they were married, she was as a great speaker. Thus, she talked more at her concerts than sang and I totally blamed him...smile.

Anyway, in his book “Love Your Dreams” he suggests you ask yourself these four questions; 1. What are my gifts 2. What are the five things I like about myself? 3. What people make me feel special 4. What moment of personal triumph do I remember? Les believes these questions increase a person’s self approval. He also says, “We should go after our dreams like our life depends on it, because it does.”

I totally realized after those conversations that my life does depend on me going after my dreams like my life depends on it. If not now- when- never! Everyday I’m closer to starting grad school, in fact I’m 12 days and counting. Everyday, I’m closer to earning a nice financial bonus with my ZamZuu business and everyday I’m closer to getting a major project that will jump start my business and allow me to publish my magazine.

Every journey towards a dream is personal, and as a result, so is the price that must be paid for it. You might as well Dream Big because it will cost you.

1 comments:

Cyncere said...

If God has led you to this well and you know this in you know-ah-- then go for it!